This recipe makes alot so can serve 4 comfortably with plenty left over for you to freeze or have for lunch the next day.
Syns per serving
- Free on green
- Free on extra easy
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
- 4 good sized sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 4 medium sized carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 4 good sized potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 4 celery sticks, chopped into cm slices
- 2 medium onions, finally chopped
- 3 oz pearl barley
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 tsp medium strength curry powder
- 1tsp grated nutmeg
- a good pinch of rock salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large dried bay leaves
- Boiling water to cover
- Prepare all the vegetables.
- Throw into a large stock pot.
- Add the pearl barley. Crumble over the 2 stock cubes and add the curry powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the boiling water and stir to mix. Then add the bay leaves.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes. Partly mash with a potato masher and serve with wholemeal roll. (Healthy Extra B choice)
NB: If you find it as hard as I do to chop and peel a butternut squash, prick the skin several times and microwave for a few minutes to soften. The butternut I used was huge so microwaved it for 10 minutes. Don’t worry if its soft, just chop and put in the pan.
The medium curry added flavour, but if you want to give it more spice just add more to taste or use a stronger one.