Spaghetti Alla Matricciana (Bacon and Chilli Tomato Pasta)
syn free on extra easy
This recipe uses a variation on the basic tomato sauce for pasta.
- 400g cooking bacon with visible fat removed and cut in to 1cm strips
- 2 large onions sliced
- 100g mushrooms sliced
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1,2 or 3 red chilli peppers depending on how spicy you like it
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 heaped teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- large pinch of pepper
- boiling water to top up the sauce
- 400g penne pasta
- low calorie cooking spray
- Coat a large non-stick pan with low calorie cooking spray and fry off the bacon on a medium heat until lightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until lightly browned.
- Add the onions, garlic and chilli and continue to cook until the onions are lightly browned, mixing thoroughly at as it cooks.
- Season with the herbs, stock cube and pepper, mixing thoroughly at as it cooks for another couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and top up with boiling water. You need to add sufficient water to ensure the pasta, when added 30 minutes later, will have enough liquid to absorb.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer on a low heat for approximately 30 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and simmer until the pasta is cooked al dente (firm but not hard), this will take about 12 to 15 minutes more, you may need to adjust the amount of water so that the sauce is thick and rich.
- Allow to stand for a few minutes before serving.