This is a simple recipe and is similar to our Bacon and Carrot Soup, but with far more emphasis on the bacon and lentils obviously. This amount of ingredients will make about 10 generous portions and can be kept in a food container frozen for a few weeks.
One syn per serving.
- 500g cooking bacon with visible fat removed and cut in to small slices
- 500g pack of red lentils
- 3 leaks coarsely chopped
- 3 celery sticks finely sliced
- 500g carrots finely sliced
- 2 stock cubes (chicken and or vegetable)
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 desert spoon of dried mixed herbs
- low calorie cooking oil spray
- boiling water
- Spray your cooking pot with plenty of low calorie cooking oil spray and place the pan on a moderate to high heat.
- Brown the bacon in the pan for several minutes until most of the water has left the bacon.
- Season with pepper and herbs (no salt is usually required when cooking with bacon).
- Add the vegetables to the pan and sweat down for a few minutes, mixing well, to release the juice from the vegetables.
- Crumble and add the stock cubes.
- Add the lentils and mix in to the vegetables and bacon allowing the lentils to absorb any juices from the vegetables… and…
- Add hot water to well cover the ingredients. The lentils will absorb much of the water during cooking.
- Cook on a low simmer for at least 45 minutes.